Since the 1920's the name Bartrop has been synonymous with Real Estate in Ballarat.
In 1876 William Little succeeded to the Real Estate business of James Oddie, Ballarat's first Auctioneer. William Little later became Mayor of Ballarat, and his business thrived. However, it was destined to be taken over some fifty years later by the firm of Edgar Bartrop Real Estate.
On 19th December 1921, Edgar Bartrop had commenced business as an Estate Agent in a two roomed office "down the passage" at 22 Lydiard St Sth.
His agency soon progressed to the stage where he was able to purchase "The Ballarat Agency" of G. Norris at 35 Lydiard St Sth, opening onto the street and with a show window! Then followed the acquisition of the agencies of Ottaway and Blomley & Blomley.
In 1930, despite the depression, came the opportunity to purchase the agency of H. J. Dunston, successor to the old established William Little and Co., and later the freehold of 54 Lydiard St Sth.
Under the Bartrop control the business continued to expand. Ballarat's first "Ideal Home Exhibition" its first "Contrast Home show" and an active "Home building service" were most successfully promoted.
Bruce Bartrop joined his father in 1952 and the family company was subsequently incorporated.
Mr. Bruce Bartrop assumed the position as Managing Director in 1964. With a number of further absorptions of other established real estate agencies the company continued to grow.
Members of the firm have always been involved in real estate industry matters. Not only through the Ballarat Real Estate Institute Branch, but throughout Victoria, Australia and overseas through the International Real Estate Federation. The late Edgar Bartrop was a founding member of what is now "The Real Estate Institute of Victoria." Both he and Bruce Bartrop are past Presidents of the Institute, with both also being awarded the highest honour of life membership of the Institute - Edgar in 1972 and Bruce in 2002.